Steamed Mussels in Mustard Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) live mussels, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- roughly chopped dill leaves, for garnishing
How to cook
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sweat the aromatics for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add the white wine, bring it to a simmer, and let it reduce by about one third.
- Add the mussels into your pot and cover it with a lid. Steam the mussels for 2-3 minutes or until they have just opened up. Once cooked, remove them from the pot and set aside. Discard any mussels that didn’t open.
- Whisk together the mustard and heavy cream and add them to your pot.
Bring the sauce to a light simmer, then add the sugar and salt to taste.
- Place the mussels in a large serving bowl and pour the sauce over them.
Sprinkle with dill leaves and enjoy together with a slice of bread.